Friday, May 19, 2006 Ten Books for a New Auroville In addition to the foundational works of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother, if I had to choose only ten books, in no particular order, to build a new Auroville, this would be the list:
1. Tao Te Ching – Lao Tzu Provides a deep spiritual perspective for being in harmony with nature and the cosmos.
2. A Pattern Language – Christopher Alexander Provides a common sense foundation for all aspects of planning and architecture.
3. Permaculture – A Designers' Manual - Bill Mollison Provides inspiration and wisdom for gardening and farming that works in harmony with the natures ecosystem.
4. The Book of Bamboo – David Farrelly Provides a wealth of inspiration for the evolution of a sustainable bamboo based culture.
5. Animal Farm – George Orwell Provides an important story that illustrates human beings dangerous tendancies towards the abuse of power.
6. I Ching - Book of Changes - Anonymous Provides a working tool for living and working in harmony with the forces of the cosmos.
7. Anarchic Harmony - The Spirituality of Social Disobedience - William Murray Provides a very clear illustration of the necessity of the individual to honor his or her inner dynamic above that of society.
8. Shelter – Various Authors Provides a wealth of building inspiration for unprofessional but creative builders.
9. The Photo Collections of Andy Goldsworthy Provides inspiration for a new aesthetic that unites the ecological and the spiritual.
10. Your Inner Being Provides all the wisdom and common sense that you will ever need.
posted by [deleted, Sept 6, 2012]