What is Learning? Here are a number of the principles we model which are inspired by Carl Rogers, Humberto Maturana, Aurobindo Ghose, and Brent Cameron:
- Human beings are designed for learning – they are natural learners.
- Humans learn best when there is an authentic, loving relationship between a learner and a mentor.
- Humans need to feel safe and secure in the learning environment for learning to happen.
- Lasting learning happens when the subject is perceived as relevant and useful by the learner.
- Much is learned by doing.
- Learning is a messy process similar to that of inventions – many paths are explored, many are abandoned, with curiosity and wonder guiding the process.
- Self-initiated learning is the deepest and longest lasting.
- When self-evaluation is the primary means of assessment, resourcefulness, creativity, and self-reliance are encouraged.
- The primary goal of learning is to learn how to learn — developing a direct understanding of how you encounter the unknown and incorporate new experiences into your personal evolution.