January 10, 2006

Unity of the universe

Cosmic Consciousness: A Study in the Evolution of the Human Mind (Richard Bucke)
One of Davo's recent postings reminded me of this book. As a boy, I had a similar experience to the one Davo describes. I kept quiet. Years later, I found Bucke's book and began to understand I was not alone. Bucke (1837-1902), an interesting character, rugged adventurer, medical doctor, and "alienist" (psychiatrist) helped set up an "insane asylum" in Canada with quite progressive "treatment" for its time. Bucke experienced his own "illumination" at age 35. His book springs from that. In it, he develops the idea of Cosmic Consciousness, an awareness of the life and unity of the universe, as a step in the evolution of the human mind. This book started my unending reading in the realms of mysticism and spiritual intelligence. Thought-provoking. posted by George Breed Monday, January 09, 2006 at 2:31 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment